Sunday, December 14, 2008

Be still and know that I am God

“Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

There is a rush, rush, rush, and a busyness about us that feeds our anxieties and quiets-out the voice of our Lord. That still-small voice that whispers our name in the middle of the night, early in the morning, and throughout our day. It whispers, ‘be still, be quiet, and be at peace.’

In the maddening-craziness of our world we often fly right by the voice. It’s just another voice, another message, or another distraction; a distraction from ‘our agenda’. We are in a hurry. We have a mission. That is to do, to be, to achieve, to impress, to possess… for what, may I ask?

Why do we labor so… for the wind? For what we strive for today is gone in a moment. There is nothing eternal in the chaff of such achievements. Come judgment, will they stand the flaming test or will our resume of works burn to ash?

For what purpose then are we here? Why were we created? What is our true mission in life? Or, is this life all there is? Are we beasts that live and feast and die? Or, are we more? Do we have a purpose?

Questions for your heart to ponder, twist, or search out. God’s Word holds the answers to such a quest. Will you hear his voice? Can you be still and know God?

‘Lord Jesus, most every day I ignore your voice. Too often I’m captured by so much anxiety that I’m fearfully trying to please, appease, or look the part. I’m undone. Wash me in the blood of Jesus. Teach me how to pray, what to say, how to be… for I’ve bypassed stillness for the praises of others. I’ve kicked courage to the curb to fit in, to melt away, and to just get along. Help me O God, wash me anew, restore unto me the joy of your salvation and help me to be still.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home