Sunday, July 19, 2009

Purpose of God's Word

"I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary.” (Romans 7:14 The Message)

There is a purpose for God’s Word. It shows us who we are and often that is a two-edged sword. God’s law shows us our sin, our nakedness, and our inability to walk before him in righteousness. The rules of God’s principles don’t beat us over the head, we often feel that way or think that way but such feelings and thoughts are wrong-thinking. (Romans 8:1)

It’s like this: God sets up a standard. That standard is the Word of God. We look at that standard and think, ‘well maybe I can do that, maybe this living God’s Word is not so tough after all.’ We think, ‘yea, I’m not like the person who steals, kills, or runs around acting foolish’. All the while not understanding that we’ve been judgmental, self-righteous, unmerciful, and pig-headed (sorry, H1N1-headed... oh brother!)

Anyway, after the course of time God’s grace allows us to see ourselves through the mirror of his Word. And naturally, our carnal flesh won’t fess-up, it will think of God as being a bully or being harsh.

When the real motive is to get us to look up and see our Redeemer, Jesus Christ and confess to him our sins and turn from our ways to his. It is through Christ that we acknowledge our inability to meet God’s standard. When we do that Christ stands up for us and calls us his own. He calls us kings and priests and the ‘apple of his eye’. The sacrifice of Christ covers our sins and we are hidden in him and through Him meet the standard. (Zechariah 2:8; Revelation 1:6)

So, Christian, no we are not perfect but we have a brother who is. He paid for your sins, he basically, said… ‘lay all their debt on me, I’ll pay it’ and this Christ did for us on Cavalry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home