Monday, July 12, 2010

Leadership

Then He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you " Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth. (Ezekiel 3:1-3)

There are a lot of things that can fill a man’s mind. There’s work, there’s family concerns, there’s sports, or there’s something even more worthwhile… something eternal and that returns the warrior-servant heart to men… and that is God’s Word.

God wants men to lead, women want men to lead, our children crave our leadership, and the world is failing because men fail to lead. There are any number of excuses or reasons why men have failed to lead but the main reason is men need an inner direction… an inner truth or conviction to guide them. God’s provided this conviction through his Word. “You desire truth in the innermost being, and in the hidden part you will make me know wisdom” (Psalm 51:6)

When the God of the Bible leads a man to his Word it is the sweetest experience. Jeremiah the prophet said, “Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart” (Jer. 15:16) and David the King-Warrior said that God’s words were sweeter than honey (Psa. 119:103).

Yet, like Ezekiel the prophet the Lord asks us to go beyond reading; God asks us men to meditate on His Word, to chew on it all the day and to make it apart of our thinking, our doing, and our living (Psalm 1). Why? God wants men to be men. God wants men of action, men of courage, men to stand for righteousness, and men to provide and protect for their families. When men follow God with an earnest and tender heart they can not help but lead and their wife and children will want to follow; for they are following a heart under God’s direction.

"Be strong, and let us show ourselves courageous for the sake of our people and for the cities of our God; and may the LORD do what is good in His sight." (1 Chron. 19:13)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home