Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Patriots Thoughts

“For they speak not peace; but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land” Psalm 35:20

As with any Patriot of freedom I’m concerned with the direction our country is going. On every hand and seemingly at every turn there is trouble, discord, and disquiet. Deceit is everywhere, on the radio, television, magazine, and published more and more everyday. We live in times of upheaval, fear, and smothered anger.

That’s why months ago I had to disengage. I simply turned off the excessive “noise, noise, noise” to search my heart, to seek the Lord, and to gain perspective.

I learned that I have great need. Not of more information but of righteous information. I learned that progress is often returning to the basics. I learned that I need more of Jesus Christ in my life-more than the entertainment or elements of this world could ever satisfy. I learned that much of the present upheaval is a distraction from my “seeking first the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 6:33) and that such concerns are ultimately set in the plans of the Lord.

Certainly I have obligations as a citizen. Voting is part of this. Obeying the law and paying my taxes are others. A larger and more important part is my attitude-the attitude of my heart. The Bible teaches us to “exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men: for kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour… that men pray every where, lifting up hold hands, without wrath and doubting” (1 Tim. 2:1-2, 8).

Today, there’s a lot of ‘wrath’ on the airways and much of it is understandable; righteous anger has its place. Yet, I’m concerned as anger can easily turn to hopelessness, despair, and to depression. Unchecked or unbridled anger is not wise (Ecc. 7:9) and does not lead to righteousness (James 1:20).

And so I’m studying to be quiet (1 Thess. 4:11), take care of the business at hand, and live as peacefully as possible. I pray, yet not nearly enough for our leaders and often without thankfulness… I have a ways to go and sometimes I’m overcome with anger but I try and learn from it, grow, and grow up in the Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home