Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Grief and Encouragement

"Moreover David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him, for all the people were embittered, each one because of his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God." (1 Samuel 30:6)

Now, granted no one is planning on stoning me... at least not to my
knowledge... but nonetheless I find myself greatly encouraged in the Lord. This encouragement is not a happiness per say but an abiding joy - a deep comforting peace. And you know, it's funny that I'm comforted at such a time as a part of my heart grieves deeply as well... my heart hurts! For one of my mentors, my brother is in great pain and dying with cancer.

He's my older brother, the eldest of the family, and one thing everyone knows about Clyde my brother is he's a man of God! He's a man who loves and adores his children, who loves God's Word and who with every moment given preaches and teaches the Good News of Jesus Christ... who can ask for a better mentor?

Oh for sure, my tears come in waves... but you and the Lord have taught me to release this grief... to let things go... to set my heart in the acceptance of regrets and time lost with him and forgive myself and focus on now. Yet, the abiding peace and joy so much the more overrides any sadness for I know who the king of my brother's heart is!

There is something wondrous about God's Word in how it calms, sooths, strengthens, and ah! brings such peace. Oh, how I desire to communicate to my family and friends how through His Word I'm encouraged, I'm lifted up, and I'm thankful--even as tears fill my eyes.

I pray you return to His Word and know His peace that passes understanding! Phil. 4:7)

The Lord knows what you go through today. He knows and sees the tears in your eyes or those in your heart. Rest in Him! Find a place, any place, and sit down with His letters to you and read and pray and find healing. He can and will heal you just trust in Him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home