Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Suffering

We all tend to shy away from the subject of suffering, I know that I do. I mean who wants to talk about a subject that in itself is painful, for we’ve all suffered some form of pain at some time in our lives. Yet, it is in and through suffering that true belief of the Gospel is pronounced and demonstrated. For through suffering the Gospel is spread.

This was true with the Apostle Paul who’s mission in life was finely mixed with suffering (Acts 9:15-16). Paul gives an account of his sufferings in 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12. There were, in that day, false Apostles who condemned Paul for his suffering and saw it as a sign of weakness (2 Cor. 10-13). For these false Apostles considered signs, wonders, and miracles as the true test of Apostleship. Yet, all these were apart of Paul’s ministry (2 Cor. 12:12).

Even today in many churches signs, wonders, and miracles are sought for and looked towards as evidence of the anointing of God. Yet, true Christianity is rooted in suffering. All through Israel’s history prophets suffered, King David suffered much, and Jesus Christ suffered at the hands of those he loved.

I recall a time when I was in Korea and I had just found out that Tommy, my brother had passed away. At the same time I was dealing with an upcoming serious operation planned for my wife and simply walking was difficult as I a few months before I had foolishly blown out my right knee. There was days when I could not keep the tears from coming. I wanted solitude. I wanted time with my Heavenly Father. Not to ask him why but to mourn. I wanted time to simply cry and to be comforted by Christ. I wanted to hear him speak to my heart. It was at this time that a great many of my Christian friends deserted me. Their believe was that a Christian should always be happy, always joyful, always abounding in Christ. Their words but mainly their actions cut me to the heart. In this I mourned as well, in this I prayed fervently. Then one night a dear African-American brother embraced me and told me that he understood and that he cared. He did not care what others said or thought. His heart was knit with mine.

I can attest as so many before me that I learned, felt, and grew more in those days of suffering than I have ever… much more than when my days are calm. My faith grew in Christ for he comforted me and taught me his joy in the midst of trying pain.

Today or tomorrow dear friends suffering and pain will come into your lives. Suffering is not an evil… it is a gift from God! When it comes embrace it and through it you will embrace more of Jesus Christ in your heart and life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home