Friday, June 16, 2006

Forgiving the Past

Throughout my youth, I don't remember much good coming from my earthly Father. I remember a lot of pain. A lot of beatings. A lot of abuse. Whatever else happened during eight years of my childhood I simply cannot remember... I forgave my Father some 25 years ago but it took years. God had to show me part of what was in my Father's past... and in understanding that I understood him and therefore compassion was found in my heart and somehow... forgiveness.

I had to understand my Father as a human being created in the image of God and a fallen sinner--both all wrapped inside the person that every ounce of me learned to hate. Yet the hate for him... was eating at me every single day, it drove me and consumed me. Until on July 4th, 1977, on a warm afternoon--Christ became my Savior and one of the things I gave-up to him as I wept before that altar was my hatred for my Father... I followed the guidance of the Apostle Paul in Philippians 3:13 "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before..."

My earthly Father is dead now-several years ago. My step-Father also passed away many years ago. Each Father's day there is a twinge of sadness at the relationship lost with both men. Yet, on this Father's Day and each one that I may be blessed to witness I look to the heavens and I wish my Heavenly Father a very Happy Father's Day and then as the day closes I close the memory on my earthy Fathers for another year--I close the book of memories and I open up today and like you--look forward and upward towards tomorrow!

If you have a Father you are blessed...

For many have lost theirs...

If you have a moment to show them your gratitude...

Do it now for later that moment may never occur again...

If you have hurt your Father...

Go to him... he'll forgive you...

If your Father's hurt you...

Forgive...

It is the greatest gift You can give this Father's Day...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm still trying to forgive my father. It's an everyday thing.

20:58  
Blogger Michael Byrd said...

Angela, you can know that Christ is working in and through you because you are still trying to forgive. As much as you can give this up to the Lord. He knows what you are going though and loves you awesomely!!

22:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home