Saturday, August 18, 2007

Weeds in the Backyard

The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that's who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and make myself plain to him." John 14:21

The other day we were blessed with some late rain showers so I thought it a good time to pull-up my personal crop of weeds. These ‘precious growths of procrastination’ were by now thick, tall, and well rooted.

So into the thicket I marched. When not sliding or skidding in the mud I was bent over in search of the base of my wicked friends and when found… give a pull and hope for the best.

Among the pulling and the too-often ‘snapping’ of weed-roots my mind turned to the condition of my own heart. I wondered, when the Lord looks at my heart is it so unsightly… I wondered, in what areas ‘in my backyard’ have I procrastinated? In what areas have I not obeyed the Lord and in not obeying… what have I glossed over. Thinking, “ah, its not all that bad.”

So, in the mud, in the midst of well harvested weeds I prayed and asked my Lord for forgiveness. Forgiveness for all my disobedience and all the little seeds of rebellion that must be germinating… I prayed for restoration.

An hour later the majority of my weeds yet remained in the back yard but more importantly my relationship with my Savior was ever closer and the conscience of my heart clearer.

It does not take a backyard full of weeds for you to have a heart-check; just a heart that is sensitive and that continues in love with the Savior.

May your heart be sensitive today; one that loves and obeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home