Sunday, September 09, 2007

Camping

By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. Romans 1:20 (The Message)

Camping. I never knew that it could bring so much enjoyment, peace, and comfort to heart, mind, and spirit. And camping we did and a whole week of it!

What a blessing also… as many of you know this summers camping was our first in our near twenty years of marriage. It wasn’t that we did not want to go but mostly we felt we couldn’t. Either Belinda underwent a major surgery or the military deployed me or something else was pressing. So for me to sit back and watch my wife soak in a little nature, listen as she laughed, and as I playfully frowned as she beat me in another Rummecube game was for me the deepest of treasured blessings.

Now granted, setting up the tent and everything else was not all that joyous an occasion but afterwards what a blast! To sit and watch the trees gracefully sway in the breeze and hear the wind whisper in the pines… wow, that was relaxing.

At dusk we built a campfire and listened to the ‘pop’ and the ‘crackle’ as the wood burned and warmed ourselves. The stars came out and glistened in the quiet darkness and time did not seem so pressing or to matter all that much. Capturing and sharing the moment with the love of your life, now that mattered!

Have you taken the time to look up at night and just look at the stars? How long has it been?

As I gazed upward I wondered at the awesomeness of God. His great and inspiring creation hovered above us and reminded me of how wonderful, powerful, and great God truly is.

He created all that is around us. All the beauty of nature, all the stars in the heaven, and all the wonderful people in our lives. We are blessed, truly blessed for his goodness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home