Sunday, November 02, 2008

An Answer to Daily Work Stress

“Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

Like an undisciplined ping-pong ball I often find myself engaged in one work project only to be ‘knocked’ to another without finished the others. Like you, I’ve found there’s no finality in work only a disconcerting continuance.

Projects go unfinished until its their time to readdress. Paperwork stacks up and priorities blur … reassessing, planning, and burning the candle on both ends becomes a way of life. Joy, peace, and contentment erodes amidst small and large fires that need attention, all this in the service to your country… and to bring a few dollars home after payday…

For the worker, the supervisor, the manager, the teacher, the boss… the burden of the dreaded ‘to-do’ list is often daunting. The energy and resourcefulness required to gain an inch and maintain a foothold is draining, stressful, and wearisome…

In the midst of such daily ciaos and frustration there is hope, we can gain control and peace. Not by doing more but by relying more… we have a friend we can talk to and who understands! Even in the midst of a fiery furnace or a den of lions Christ is only a breath away, a prayer away.
If we will only knock… he will answer (Matthew 7:7) and with him and through him we can manage the stresses, frustration, and distractions of daily life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home