Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ducks & Time

Careful planning puts you ahead in the long run; hurry and scurry puts you further behind. Proverbs 21:5
~
I find it humorous at times to watch a little group of ducks waddle across the road while folks in cars and trucks patiently wait for them to pass. While there, rank, position, and schedules seem to diminish as the flop, flop of ducks feet beat to an agenda that is not hurried… not intimidated… only deliberate… I wondered… are the ducks grinning deep down in side? If I were a duck, this would be my parade and yes, I would take my own sweet time… grinning all the way… wouldn’t you?
~
Sometimes time gets away from us. It melts before our list like a warm marshmallow that hits a hungry mouth, in an instant, its gone! So is time. True, we all have the same amount but we don’t spend it all the same way. Some days I’m fairly wise with it and with others, not so much. So what is the solution?
~
It comes down to priorities and it comes down to choices. In an age when we are on the run sometimes we or I miss the highest priority… that is, slowing down enough to see that someone needs help, a hand, a word of encouragement, or a listening ear. People should always trump processes, and not the other way around.
~
In the “hurry and scurry” of getting things done I can, if I’m not careful, step on the very folks that I care about… so balance is needed… a disciplined-flexible-approach of serving the list and helping others, of seeing a need and meeting it but not over-doing-it… of meeting a deadline… and not becoming a perfectionist.
~
It’s a not-so-comfortable approach but God’s helping me and with his help I know that anything is possible… even the waiting… for ducks to pass by!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home