Friday, March 24, 2006

The Battle of Good -vs- Evil

A Poem for the Heart

there are times when the heart is so hard
the frail-human spirit so numb
the soul so weighted down
with the tortures of sin
that simply praying is difficult
if not impossible.
~
thoughts of despair and discouragement
plague the mind - plague the soul
these thoughts are determined
to drive away any and all kindness or goodness
it seems that the Comforter is on vacation
~
the soul is weighted down in despair
the heart trudges on in hope
the day is ugly - overcast and gloomy

The Wind Shifts…

A truly amazing event occurs… Like lightening flashing across the sky… A Biblical principle sparks across-the-mind… Begins to stir the heart and mind…

yet

before the heart can recognize
gather strength
a darkened thought of doubt follows

Stronger now… bolder… A scripture again rises to the occasion… Stronger still… urging the heart…

only to be swallowed up
by the darkness of discouragement
~
like knights with clashing swords
the battle continues
the heart is watching and hoping
the soul’s burden only heavier
the battle is on!…
~
a raging turmoil erupts
pitting good verses evil
love against hate
Christ in me fighting evil
the victory is in the balance
the conqueror undecided
the struggle continues
~
i fall to my knees…
this searching desire for Christ’s love
Overcomes me… Overwhelms me… Love that wraps around me… Gains the victory… Mercy flows into the heart… Stirring the soul and a single tear-drop forms and falls. With trembling lips I look upward and utter these simple words “Thank-you”! The darkness of my vile thoughts fades into their shadows… The union is made. My soul releases the weighty burden of doubts - the fear…
I repent. I cry out. “Jesus, forgive me, forgive the thoughts of my mind, the doubts of my heart, this lonely walk alone, I’m so alone without you, Lord” I fall to my knees in anguish, my sinful thoughts flow from me like a flood. Ugly guilt and hardness flow from me to the nails on the cross where the blood of my Savior washes my sin away. I recognize that I can no longer feel the sting of guilt, as it hastens out of my sight – my soul. My soul is pure and dances in praise and reverence. Softness comes to my heart. Peace fills me. My lips form a laugh.
~
I finish my prayer standing up, standing tall, light on my feet. I realize that the sun is risen, the clouds are gone from view, the beauty of a new day fills me, warms me. I take a step, prepared to walk to glorify and magnify Christ - wherever my Savior leads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home