Monday, March 20, 2006

A Lonely Bird on a Housetop

“I lie awake, I have become like a lonely bird on a housetop.” Psalm 102:7


Have you ever felt that way… alone? Ever felt like a “lonely bird on a housetop”? I know to some Christians to even write of such emotions is almost blasphemous… but such emotions are real… they are apart of life. And if we are going to be honest with ourselves and with others then shouldn’t we also write or talk about all emotional states?

In this Christian walk we will find our selves feeling lonely. Modern thought is to fill ones-life with television or books or something to make this feeling go away but none of these seem Biblical.

It seems in the Bible that people suffered deep loneliness and that there was no earthly cure at times. That suffering… whatever emotional state is apart of everyday life and to hide from that fact is to live in an allusion.

That suffering within its self brings us to such a place were our hearts call on God. God hears and answers. Never once in all these years has Christ ever left me totally desolate, totally alone. It is He who brings comfort and care and consolation to my heart during lonely times, during times of great darkness.

Maybe I don’t view loneliness correctly but I don’t view it anymore as a bad thing. Neither do I view depression or heartache or distress or anguish. They all hurt… they all cut to the heart something terribly… but each one drives my heart to prayer and in prayer I’m not lonely, I’m not depressed, and I’m not afraid.

I pray the same for you today, my friend!

Jesus, you were often alone, often forsaken, and often a bird alone on a housetop. You understand the ups and downs that we travel through in this life. May we during those times look to you for comfort, for peace, and for friendship that drives lonely feelings away…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home